*Chives is the common name of the plant, Allium schoenoprasum of the onion family, Alliaceae, same as onions, garlic, scallions, leeks, etc.
*The dull green, straw like leaves of this plant are used as a seasoning herb.
*They have a mild onion flavor and less pungent, and are used to enhance the flavor of soups, sandwiches, and fish dishes.
*The medical benefits of flavonoids in chives are destroyed when exposed to high temperatures, as in oveer cooking.
*Buying and storage: Select fresh, brightly colored bunch of leaves without any discoloration, wilting, slime or holes on the leaves. Pat them dry and wrap in slightly damp paper towels and store in the refrigerator. They can also be frozen after quickly blanching them in boiling water.
Is it raw?
Yes, all fresh leaves in the supermarket are raw and can be eaten raw in salads.
1. The flavonoids present in the chives, organosulphides compounds such as allyl sulphides have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects.
2. Reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Regular consumption of chives and other plants in the onion family is associated with the reduced risk of cancers, especially gastrointestinal tract cancers and prostate cancers.
4. The flavonoids in chives also have a beneficial effect on the blood pressure, by lowering the blood pressure.
5. The juice of the plants acts as an insect repellant. When applied topically, it reduces symptoms of fungal infections, scab, etc.
6. Very good source of beta-carotene, which is a precursor of Vitamin A. It enhances the eye sight, fights against acne, results in smooth radiant skin.
7. Good source of Vitamin C, a natural water soluble antioxidant. It enhances the body’s immune system, maintains the elasticity of skin and blood vessels, increases the absorption of iron from the intestines and prevents bruising of the skin.
8. Vitamins C and E act as antioxidants, fight against the free radicals that damage our cells, reduce the risk of heart diseases, cancer and other degenerative diseases.
9. Good source of folic acid, which is promotes a healthy heart. It prevents the accumulation of homocysteine, an intermediary metabolite of protein metabolism, which promotes atherosclerosis by reducing the integrity of blood vessel walls and by interfering with the formation of collagen.
10. Moderate but significant source of other B-group vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and B6 that are essential to enhance the energy production from the foods.
11. Good source of minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese, which play a very important role in maintaining proper metabolic activities of the body 12. Moderate source of soluble dietary fiber. It adds roughage to the contents of the intestines, promotes satiety, promotes the health of the colon, and also helps in relieving constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticular disorders, etc. for mor Health Benefits www.leecgesthrapy.comPosted in Health Benefits
Tags: Chives anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects.